Some new stats, facts and figures from its earnings call for the first quarter of 2013:
- Daily active users have reached 665 million
- Monthly active users have passed 1.1 billion for the first time
- 751 million mobile users access Facebook every month
- Mobile only active users total 189 million
- Mobile now generates 30% of its ad revenue up from 23% at the end of 2012
New facts via Global Web Index Study:
- 44% growth from June 2012 to March 2013
- 288 million monthly active users
- That means that 21% of the world’s internet population are using Twitter every month
- Over 500 million registered accounts
- Twitter’s fastest growing age demographic is 55 to 64 year olds, registering an increase in active users of 79%
Some interesting insights:
- Mobile Devices: The US for many years was a mobile internet laggard, but in 2012 active mobile internet usage expanded from 37% to 43% of US internet users and tablet from 8% to 18%. Also as 31% of US mobile users are now on an iOS device, deep Twitter integration into iOS was a game changer (as reflected in the mobile growth above).
- Older Demographics: : Over-55s are the fastest growing demographic on Twitter! Active usage grew 116% between Q2 and Q4 2012 while active usage among 45-54s increased 81% in the same period. Twitter proved to be the fastest growing social platform in the latter demographic group. In an ageing population, this represents tens of millions of well-healed users on Twitter.
- Mass Media Integration: TV, films, radio, sports and advertising provided Twitter with an incredible level of exposure, and this is already translating into more users. This integration has provided people with reasons to use Twitter that go well beyond social.
Growth based on age demographics: